[CQ-Contest] Phonetics, back to basics

Antti Nevantaus antti.nevantaus at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 01:30:03 EST 2005

As I'm not a native English speaker, in my earlier days of ham radio I
sometimes found it difficult with weak signals to get the callsign
correctly due to non-standard phonetics.

There are usually two or more words used for each syllable, for
example on the band you can often hear "Bravo", "Boston", "Baker" or
"Golf", "Germany", "Guatemala". Only one of these is correct according
to standards, but the others might be used because they are easier to
spell for some nationalities. However, I would encourage using the
standard ones especially in DX QSOs and also to not to confuse those
who are newer to ham radio and contesting.

73 de Antti - OH0EA