[CQ-Contest] A portable rig for contesting?

W4ZW w4zw at comcast.net
Thu Oct 6 09:18:58 EDT 2005

I have to add my endorsement of the ICOM 736 as an ideal portable rig for
contesting.  I used one for several years while running around the Russian
republics.  It is small, fully self-contained (110-250V PS/AT/Keyer) and
covers 160 thru 6M .  Solid receiver with the right filter (I carried both
CW and SSB) and changing the filter wasn't complicated.  I'm sorry I sold my
last one to a friend who fell in love with it when I decided to use my
Kenwood TS-50.  The TS-50 is a wonderful rig but then there is the PS and AT
unit to cart around, and I missed my old ICOM 736 with its all in one
features.  try one, you'll love it.

BTW, I also have an ICOM 706 which is great because it covers 2M, but for
contesting I still think the ICOM 736 is hard to beat.  Other rigs here are
the FT-1000D, FT-1000MP, TS-950SDX, Kenwood TS-570SG, so I have some rigs
for comparison.

My 2 cents.

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, FL
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"