[CQ-Contest] Competing in the Daylight [was:UBN/Log disclosure...]

Jack Brindle jackbrindle at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 9 18:57:06 EDT 2005

There are several problems with real-time scoring, but the most
glaring is that it provides the same service as packet spotting. It
would not take much for an enterprising programmer to create a
program that monitors everyone's log page (it would be easier if they
were all kept at the same site), and either use them locally or
broadcast them out to show where stations are. It could even dump the
results into the packet spotting system. Rules would have to be
created to make the scoring not real-time, but delayed by some
amount. Or make sure that anyone monitoring the results in any way
are placed in the assisted (packet) category.

On Oct 9, 2005, at 12:17 PM, Radiosporting Fan wrote:

>> Not here, thank you! I want to prepare for contest
>> (never enough time), enjoy operating (seriously,
>> or just hand out contacts), submit the log and
>> (sooner or later) find out how I did.
>>

> That is what realtime scoring does.  The advantage is
> that you remove the phrase "sooner or later" from your
> statement.  You know how you did at the end of the
> event.  No waiting, no volunteers to berate for not
> getting certificates printed and mailed, etc.

- Jack Brindle, W6FB