[CQ-Contest] Competing in the Daylight

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Tue Oct 11 20:49:47 EDT 2005

You must have a short memory... think back, way back, before packet
pileups... what caused pileups back then??  easy, two stations call, a third
hears them and calls, then another hears the extra racket and gets in on the
flurry... and it builds and builds, even if the station underneath isn't all
that interesting sometimes.  I had a guest come here one time who just
wanted to have some fun and warm up on cw for a contest... during the day,
he got on and without giving his call just started sending reports as fast
as he could to no one... soon someone called, then another, and another, so
he started sending reports to them, and more called, and more, after 10
minutes he turned the keyer speed up as fast as it would go and id'ed and
send qsl via .... and went right on working the pileup... not only weren't
there any packet spots for him, but no one even knew who they were working.
So just because someone shows up in a pileup doesn't mean they are using
packet, maybe you got a couple extra calls which happened to attract the
attention of someone else and built your pileup.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net