[CQ-Contest] Important Issues

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Tue Oct 25 15:25:51 EDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 01:45:25PM -0500, Bob Naumann - W5OV wrote:

> We need some creative thinking.  I am very serious when I say that I am
> afraid that ham radio is going to die off as we get older unless we do
> something about it.  It's happening now.  We need to fix it.

This very topic came up recently on the CTDXCC reflector.  As someone
whose been licensed for 12 years but is still only 33, here's my perspective.

Let's say hams die off at an average age of 80.  If the average ham joined
the service at age 50, then the average age of hams would be 65 and that
looks pretty old and grim.  But, so long as there as many hams joining
the service at age 50 as there are who are dying off at age 80, it's
sustainable, and that's more or less what's happening.  Ham radio is most
attractive to men who have achieved a point in their lives where they
have the disposable income to pursue a hobby like radio, and where their
family commitments (raising children) are waning and need to be replaced
with something else interesting and challenging.

Why younger people in general are not interesting in ham radio seems
rather obvious to me, for all sorts of reasons many have already stated.
What I rarely hear is why ham radio seems to be so unattractive to women
in the 50-80 year old age brackets.  I'm certain that less than 2% of those
making contest contacts are women, and yet women in the 50-80 year old
age bracket should have all the same life circumstances as the men that
are attracted to radio at that age.  Fundamentally, I don't see why women of
that age couldn't have as much fun in ham radio as at bridge tournaments or
cook-offs or any of a number of other competitive activities.

I think attracting women to radio and contesting would be a more effective
way to increase the ranks than trying to appeal to kids who generally
cannot afford the expense of the hobby.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker at kenharker.com