[CQ-Contest] Recruiting New Contesters
dx35 at hilding.com
Thu Oct 27 13:38:48 EDT 2005
This is a tag-on to some of my response comments to the N3BB "Perfect
*** NOTE: YOU can Recruit a New Contester this weekend (in the CQ WW SSB
1. If you're a Multi-Op station, pick up a "Y" connector and an extra set
of headphones, and invite a potential contester from your local area
(UHF/VHF club op, etc.) to watch & listen for a while.
2. If you're a Single-Op not make a real serious effort and only part-time,
do the same thing.
3. For #1 and/or #2 above, be sure and send them home with a CD you've
burned containing Morse Runner or some other CODE learning/practice
software (or URLs of where to download them :-)
AMAZING FACT: Many serious Contesters also belong to other local
Non-Contest clubs filled with 2m/440Mhz ops.
Here's how to spot "Potential Contesters" - NEW CONTESTING BLOOD - from
within such groups of already licensed hams:
1. He or she has a High energy level.
2. They are quick on the microphone button (don't always wait for the
"Courtesy Tone" on a repeater :-)
3. They may be into some other form of "Competitive Activity" like drag
racing, Marathon running, or even Poker Games :-)
4. You sense they are a "Born Contester" ... be sure and repeatedly tell
them this once you've profiled them!!!
Go-For-It...do YOUR part this weekend to help perpetuate the Art Form of
"Contesting", and please add to the list of identifiable traits here to
help others spot potential prospects.
More information about the CQ-Contest