[CQ-Contest] WW SSB - the corruptive influence of packet

Dave VO1AU VO1AU at rac.ca
Mon Oct 31 22:19:02 EST 2005

Ken WM5R commented:

> (d) The contests would be better off without packet at
> all.  One option
>    is always to turn it off and tune the radio instead.

I agree 100%.  I've long felt packet was a corruptive
influence in contests.  K1TTT's analysis serves only to show
us the molecule of water at the tip of the iceberg.  Even
the multi-ops should eschew packet, as far as I'm concerned.

I enjoy using packet when I'm DXing between contests, and I
have enjoyed it at multi-ops, but I'd massively prefer that
packet-assisted participants (whether declared or not) were
acknowledged only as checklogs.

Sadly, too many people are hooked on that drug, and some of
the most important organisers of contests think packet is a
good thing.

Dave VO1AU