[CQ-Contest] CQWW Multi-Single Rule

David Robbins k1ttt at arrl.net
Wed Sep 14 07:21:19 EDT 2005

Actually its not any more clear in the rtty rules.

(a) Single-Transmitter:

"Only one transmitted signal at any
time. Limited to six band changes in any clock hour (0 through
59 minutes). For example, a change from 20 meters to 40 meters
and then back to 20 meters constitutes two band changes.
Violation of the six-band-change rule will result in reclassification
to the Multi-Multi category. Two power categories: Low
Power (150W or less) and High Power (greater than 150W)."

Ok, in the first paragraph of the single transmitter section they talk about
a single transmitted signal being limited to 6 band changes per hour and
power classes.

"Exception: One and only one other band may be used during
the same time period if and only if the station worked is a new
multiplier. Violation of the six-band-change rule by either transmitter
will result in reclassification of the entry to the Multi-Multi
category."

Now here is an 'exception'.  Obviously its not talking about exceptions to
power categories so it must be an exception to the one signal and 6 band
changes.  And they make this even clearer by referring to 'either
transmitter', implying there can be more than one transmitter that has to
follow the 6 band change rule.

The confusing parts in my mind are the phrase 'same time period', this is
obviously a hold over from a set of rules that used 10 minutes on a band
rather than 6 band changes per hour.  The other one is why reclassify to
Multi-Multi when there is a Multi-Two class that would be more appropriate
if you violate the band change rule for Multi-One... again probably a hold
over from when there was no Multi-Two class.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net