[CQ-Contest] Fun With Rules [long, sorry]

Jimk8mr@aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Thu Sep 15 21:29:04 EDT 2005

Well, I don't feel insulted by the NCCC's use of multiple stations at a
given location.  I consider it a mild form of flattery by imitation.

Rule 3.4 is not about what constitutes a "station".  It just says  that
unlike most other contests, you can't work N4ZR six times, once on each HF  band.

What all that other language says is that "manufactured" contacts aren't
allowed.  Back in the glorious days of serious competition among college  club
stations, we at W8EDU discussed, but never did, taking the club's  backup/novice
rig to a dorm and drag in the 40 or so hams on campus to give EDU  a qso #1.
That would be manufacturing!   And it would have had a  big effect at a time
when 800 qsos was a big score in CW SS.

I see nothing wrong with operating with multiple callsigns, giving out  qsos
to anybody who wants to call in.  In fact, if we want to extend full  weekend
CW contesting beyond 10 years or so from now, we'll have to allow and  even
encourage it.

I would suggest a better rule would be:  A  station/transmitter/operator can
make qsos under more than one callsign.   However, once a second or subsequent
call is used, no qsos may be made using any  previous callsign.

So anyone could borrow a few callsigns and when things got slow, start over
with a fresh callsign.  What he couldn't do is find a friend, work him  with
multiple calls, then move on to find another friend and work him with the  same
multiple calls, etc.

But meanwhile, with the present rules, I'll be out visiting my various
friends in early November.  I hope nobody minds having someone new to work  as the
weekend goes on. And if all goes well, I'll be able to do what I think  I've
only done once in my SS traveling - my combined score beating what WP3R  does
by only working people one time.

Anyone else want to find some unused stations and join in the fun?

73  -  Jim   K8MR    (Hopefully also at  N8TR, AC8E, K8AZ, and maybe W8AJ in
CW SS)