[CQ-Contest] Callsign Logging When Location is Exchanged

Tim Makins tim.ei8ic at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 02:41:53 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Radiosporting Fan" <radiosporting at yahoo.com>
To: "CQ-Contest MailList" <cq-contest at contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2005 11:05 PM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Callsign Logging When Location is Exchanged

> ...Assuming that a contests exchange includes call sign
> and geographical location (like a Grid Square), I can
> think of no need to log any "/" information at all.
>
> Tapping into the groups collective wisdom, are there
> any unexpected (to me) problems with this?
>
> Examples:
>
> Received     Actually
> and Entered  Logged by software
> -----------  ------------------
> WB2ABC/VE3 | WB2ABC
> 9Y4/4U1ITU | 4U1ITU
> W1/G3AAA/200|G3AAA
>
> I think that this works because it would be obvious
> from their transmitted (and logged) Grid Square that
> they were /VE3, 9Y4/, and W1/.

Not true at all. There are plenty of countries that share a grid square. For
instance, a station in JN61: is he signing /I or /HV? A station in JN02: is
he signing /F or /EA3 or /C3?

There *is* a way to determine which is which, but as its concerns a project
that I am working on at the moment, I won't elaborate right now.

73s Tim EI8IC
http://www.mapability.com/ei8ic/
Ham Map Heaven. Contester Resources.
Free zone maps, and contest bandplans
The most comprehensive free prefix maps on the web
Free IOTA Beam-Heading tool