[CQ-Contest] 2005 Sprint SSB - 3 Band Q's (?)

Jon kl2a at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 14:41:26 EDT 2005

re: K7ZSD(KL2A) 256 x 46 = 11,776 LP

HOW MANY 3-BANDERS DID YOU WORK?

Is there a winning strategy to be built from focusing on 3-banders?
Afterall, the possible stations available/worked for me was pretty low
(165).

One of the big answers is in "stations available", however let's focus
on stations worked.

I started by looking at the first 10 Q's or so in my sprint log.  Type
them in one by one to see which you've worked on 1, 2, or 3 bands.
My log showed a high % of easy, close in guys, only worked on 20/40,
not 80, or 20/80, not 40, etc...

I wanted to find out more, and quick, so I used that powerful little
file: cbs.exe

Grab a copy for yourself: http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/software/Cbs.exe

This is just a couple items from the spread of info it gave me:

K7ZSD (KL2A) worked 16, 3-banders
Gross callsign worked = 256
Unique callsigns worked = 165

*16 3-band Q's out of 165 unique stations worked!

Multi-band QSO's
----------------
1 bands      90
2 bands      59
3 bands      16

The following stations were worked on 3 bands:

AC0W        N6ED        K6LA        K9PG        W5WMU       KW8N
W7WA        K7RI        K5PTC       KA9FOX      W6YX        W0BH
AD4EB       K6XX        W0MU
K0OU

Other than FOX I think all of those are HP.

Call areas   Worked
Area   QSOs    Pct
------------------
   0    31    12.1
   1    11     4.3
   2    18     7.0
   3    22     8.6
   4    35    13.7
   5    28    10.9
   6    44    17.2
   7    22     8.6
   8    17     6.6
   9    28    10.9

My goal LP was 300, to beat the 297 record.  Obviously that didn't
happen, but, is there something to be learned from this 16 3-band Q's
report?

I certainly could have used a few more 3-banders.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO INSURE MORE 3-BANDERS IN YOUR LOG?

73 KL2A at yahoo.com
www.KL2A.com