[CQ-Contest] Bencher Paddles & Customs/TSA

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Tue Aug 15 20:44:14 EDT 2006

The multiple reports of Bencher paddles being examined by customs and
security people is no surprise to me.  I had one attract the interest of  customs
inspectors at the Toronto airport back in about 1980.

However, if you are still lugging a Bencher around the world, I'd recommend
you look into a K9LU Bulldog paddle.  I began using one for mobile  contesting
a few years ago, to avoid the potential problems of a Bencher flying  around
in case of an accident.  It is much smaller, lighter, and for use as  an
auxiliary way of sending CW where a computer does most of the work, it does  just
fine.  It weighs a couple of ounces, and packs quite nicely into a  generic
prescription drug container.  In that packaging it won't fool an  X-ray machine
but would probably not attract attention of human screeners.

I use the version with a magnetic base.  There is also one with a  suction
base. That may be somewhat larger, but is still far smaller and lighter  than a
Bencher.

I highly recommend the Bulldog paddle for traveling.

73  -  Jim  K8MR