[CQ-Contest] Leveling the Geographic Playing Field [was:Why did the Canadians (PT5M) beat the Americans]

Radiosporting Fan radiosporting at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 21 19:22:24 EDT 2006

Jim makes an interesting point, and that raises a
question from me (go figure) ...

--- Jimk8mr at aol.com wrote:
> Well it is clear that WRTC is not a plain level
> field  event!
> <snip>
> It's just a simple fact that it is impossible to set
> up 50 equal stations when factors  such as terrain
> and local noise levels are to be considered.

Even things like local soil conductivity must come
into play on HF.  So here's my question...

In HF terms, how practical would it be to assemble 50
teams within a tighter geographic proximity to each
other to minimize regional differences while not
causing too much mutual QRM?

On VHF, a good transceiver/transverter combination
allows me to be within 10-kHz of a Kilowatter on
2-meters who is only 5-km away and I don't hear them.
Not being an HF contester, I wonder how that
translates?

Ev, W2EV