[CQ-Contest] Casual vs organized "alerting"

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 1 07:00:05 EST 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: Robert Naumann <w5ov at w5ov.com>

While I understand the intent here to do things totally on your own, the reality is that if I was calling CQ in SS, and someone randomly drops by and says "hey Oven, VY1JA is up 10 if you need him", I would not hesitate to go up 10 and work Jay. How could I ignore that information? Why should I? Is there a limit to how long I should ignore it? 10 minutes, an hour... what if Jay QSYs up 2? Would it be OK then? What if he never QSYs for the rest of
the contest? Is he off-limits to me because someone I did not ask to help me told me about Jay's whereabouts? No way.

Great points, Bob.  Let's assume for a moment that a (or "some future") sponsor actually defines the term, "assistance" which includes the intent of "do things totally on your own" (with "do" being the operative...acting on information, not simply having the information given).

What are the thoughts of list members as to addressing Bob's items above?  What are your thoughts as to a time-delay limit placed on acting on unsolicited assistance?  I don't have an opinion...I'm trying to form one. :)

Ev, W2EV