[CQ-Contest] CW abbreviations

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Sat Dec 2 01:27:09 EST 2006

All:

On a related note, keep in mind that it is the ARRL logchecking position
that when receiving a serial number, it is the responsibility of the
receiving station to translate any received cut numbers into numeric
digits in the log.  K9TM and I do the logchecking for the ARRL 10M
Contest where DX stations send RST/serial numbers as their exchange.  If
CT3NT sends "VVN"to you as his serial number, it is your responsibility
to turn it into "339".  If you put "VVN" in the log, your QSO will be
scored as invalid.

Now before anybody begins wringing their hands or starts a thread
complaining that you should "log what is sent", the topic is not open
for discussion.  I've confirmed this direction with the ARRL HQ Contest
Department, and this is the way the 10M Contest Logs have been scored
since 1998.  There is logic to this; cut numbers exist solely to help CW
operators convey numeric data quicker over the air.  It is not the
logchecker's responsibility to decode these numbers to "interpret" your log.

Just trying to be helpful here, not start a controversy (which we seem
wont to do on the reflector these days).  And I'm only speaking for the
10M contest, which I'm on the logchecking team for.

Dave/K8CC