[CQ-Contest] Cut number for "3"

Michael Keane K1MK k1mk at alum.mit.edu
Sat Dec 2 08:12:04 EST 2006

At 08:00 PM 12/1/06, Tree wrote:
>Leigh, KR6X writes:
>
> > VV is the commonly accepted cut number abbreviation for 33.
>
>I hadn't ever heard this before, but I did some research on the web and
>found this page that lists cut numbers for morse code numbers:
>
>http://www.ac6v.com/morseaids.htm#AB
>
>According to this - the cut number for 3 is "W".

Well, I'll have to admit that I've never heard of a '5' being cut as
an 'S' as indicated in that table. Of course with the Internet, there
are so many places to pick supporting evidence from:
<http://www.qsl.net/zs1an/contesting_faq.html#cut-numbers>

Nevertheless, there are clearly multiple cut number variants that are
employed by various entities for their internal use, e.g.
<http://www.cvni.net/radio/nsnl/nsnl011/nsnl11morse.html>.

The lack of universality is perhaps one reason cut numbers are
avoided by those whose intentions are clarity in addition to sheer brevity.

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane K1MK
k1mk at alum.mit.edu