[CQ-Contest] Another angle on assisted versus "being helped"

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Tue Dec 5 11:59:02 EST 2006

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 14:49:39 -0600, "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt at mts.net>
 wrote:

>You're just about to call him when it dawns on you: he's on the same
>frequency he was when the random act of kindness was visited upon you.
>
>Do ya work 'im?
>
>If yes, then at what point does the "assistance" expire?

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

You found him without assistance, so work him. You're in the clear.

Incidentally, the ARRL White Paper covers this very circumstance. It
says anything you causally overhear on the air is ok for unassisted.
It only becomes assisted if the information is fed to you personally
or if you have solicited it from another person.

I would suggest if someone tries to feed you spotting info you tell
them clearly that you are operating unassisted and do not want such
info. I doubt they will be back a second time. Better yet, tell your
buddies that before the contest.

Bill, W6WRT