[CQ-Contest] Enforceable rules

Tom Frenaye frenaye at hughes.net
Tue Dec 5 09:21:12 EST 2006

At 11:56 PM 12/4/2006, W5TD wrote:
>And what about publicly (more or less) stating that you won't enfore certain rules.  For example, to go
>back to a topic that was discussed before-the SS rules say the check is the last 2 digits of the year first
>licensed, but then the ARRL has told individuals that they really don't enforce this.  Then why put it in
>the rules?  Why not change the rules to say the check is any 2 digit number you care to make up?

Contest managers (and their opinions) come and go.    Contest log checking changes from year to year. The best advice is to follow the rules as closely as you can interpret them.

I've lost contest QSOs in the log checking process because the signal reports didn't match.  Log checking changes because contest sponsors get better (or worse) at it.  Sometimes there's a problem that needs concentrating on - packet/Internet abuse has been the focus for some checkers in recent years, other years it may be off times, or friends "feeding" callsigns, or something else.

Just because "everybody" has been going 50 mph in a 35 mph zone for years doesn't mean you won't be given a ticket (or warning) for doing the same thing.

              -- Tom