[CQ-Contest] The Art of Contesting

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Tue Dec 5 12:40:34 EST 2006

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

In another thread,

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 17:53:29 -0800, Tree <tree at kkn.net> wrote:

>One thing is for sure - as technology improves, the "art of contesting" will
>have to figure out how it wants to deal with it.  I feel that if the
>operator is removed too much from the equation - that it will no longer have
>the appeal it has to many of us.  There is probably a good hunting analogy
>to help illustrate my point.

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

Tree is way ahead of most of us on this.

I would suggest there should be only two basic classes of operating:
Traditional and Unlimited.

A Traditional station would be defined mostly by hardware, i.e. one
radio, no spotting assistance, basic antennas, etc, etc.

An unlimited station would have no limits on hardware. Anything legal
in your country would be allowed.

Within those classes you could have divisions for HP/LP/QRP and single
or multi operator if desired, but that's it.

I suspect many newcomers might be attracted to the Traditional class
at first and eventually get hooked enough to move on to Unlimited. I
see it as a good way to get new blood into the hobby and still have a
highly competitive arena for those who do not wish to spend megabucks
on an Unlimited station.

Bill, W6WRT