[CQ-Contest] Non-Mult Assistance ???

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Tue Dec 5 15:52:47 EST 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: "kr2q at optonline.net"
FINALLY.....
As I hope is becoming obvious, the REAL SOLUTION is to never offer "over the
air" assistance because you are putting the "other guy" in ethical
trouble....geniune dilemma:  ignore it and possibly lose the mult (bad) or USE
it and have to CHANGE CATEGORIES to assisted/unlimited
---------------------------

OK...what about these scenarios that don't directly involve the "Mult" issue:

1.  The de facto standard for signal reports is 5NN.  During the 160m
contest, I sent one person 595 because his signal sounded like crap.  Does
this mean I was providing "assistance" alerting him to a problem with his
transmitter (or most likely amplifier)?

2.  If someone's audio sounds like crap during a Phone contest and I tell
them, am I also providing "assistance" that could improve that person's
score if he or she fixes the problem?

3. If I hear an weak PVRC station repeatedly calling CQ during SS with no
answers 'cuz he's getting clobbered by a loud W5 he can't hear (but I want
to be an NCCC "Good Guy" and spare him additional agony of  unanswered
CQ's), if I tell him he's getting clobbered by a loud W5, am I providing
"assistance"?

Hmmm.

FYI, to resolve ANY remote possibility my CW SS post about needing NL was a
violation, I filed an amended log as "Multi".

Tnx & 73...

RIck, K6VVA