[CQ-Contest] ARRL DX contest and assisted rule

Robert Chudek - KØRC k0rc at citlink.net
Thu Dec 7 15:46:30 EST 2006

A similar scenario came to my attention last weekend during the 160m CW contest. I was running unassisted. But during daylight on Saturday and Sunday I wanted to pick up some new entities in the TARA RTTY contest. I would want to run with packet in TARA. This is a similar situation to what John, W5TD described in his message.

But what really got me was this... I was using N1MM during the 160m contest. I shut that program down and started up DXLab Suite so I could check my RTTY standings. Well I didn't think about the logger automatically logging me into the spotting network. So it did. An innocent "mistake"!

Now, under very strict guidelines, the ARRL contest branch could check and see I had logged into a spotting network, compare that to my claim of un-assisted category in my submitted log, and change my category. I doubt this will happen.

There comes the time when your conscience really guides you in interpretation. I'm sure we can continue to dream up hundreds of scenarios which create "catch-22" situations like this. But it all boils down to individuals using "sportsman like conduct" and understanding "contest sponsor decisions are final".

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

Message: 4