[CQ-Contest] Shorter Time to Submit Log

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Wed Dec 13 10:33:19 EST 2006

> Before there was Packet, did ANYONE worry about uttering the wrong words
> during a CQ and becoming "assisted?". I think "Assisted" is the bastard
> child of "Packet" and had nothing to do with overhearing the wrong
> conversation during a contest.
>
> 73 Steve K0SR

Exactly. In 25 years of radio, I've never heard, before this silly thread,
any mention by anyone that a directional CQ during a contest was the least
bit unethical. Or that there was anything wrong in using information gleaned
by yourself while tuning across the band. Sheesh, next thing you know,
someone's going to suggest that if I'm in a pileup on WP3R and hear VY1JA
also going all S&P on Rich, it's a bad thing for me to say "J, up five?"

As to the suggestion we need more rules, consider this: most contest
sponsors sponsor contests to promote on-air activity or promote their
organization/publication. If everybody needed to hire a lawyer to figure out
how to play, you'd only have lawyers that play. I guess that would crown
K1VR as victor for life!

This idea that SERIOUS contesters should somehow step outside the published
rules and enforce arbitrary stricter standards is ludicrous, in my view.
Every operator can, and should, feel free to operate right to the wall of
the published rules, but no further.

In CQ contests, this means that you cannot act upon ANY alerting to DX of
any kind. (Considering many of us are alerted to DX by the hearing of it, I
guess we shouldn't be allowed that, either. Or perhaps we're just not
allowed to operate the first station we hear at the beginning of an
opening.). In ARRL contests, assistance is defined as spotting networks
(cluster, VHF/UHF spotting nets) or operating arrangements involving other
operators ("Joe, this weekend, let's feed each other spots whenever we come
across each other, kay?"). It is not defined as the hearing of a casual
remark.

Canada's Globe and Mail newspaper has a masthead quotation from Junius: "Any
servant who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor
submit to arbitrary measures." Sorry, Ken. Count me out.

Considering that NAQP is sponsored by NCJ, which is read primarily by
hard-core contesters, perhaps it's up to NCJ to impose the strictest rules
we can dream up on NAQP.

I think, however, this will be a case of being careful what we wish for.

73, kelly
ve4xt