[CQ-Contest] K7QQ's what to do?

Art Boyars art.boyars at verizon.net
Wed Dec 13 14:44:34 EST 2006

(Note that I have, again, changed the subject when the thread branches -- or should I say "frays"?)

Rex asks about the case where he mis-entered the QSO data, and could not get it fixed.
  1.  Should I delete the Q ?  He looses points and has a pentalty for  NIL .
  2   Should I post contest try to contact him and correct my log  or
  3   Should I try to contact him and advise that he is no longer in my L0g prior to his submitting his log  ??
My answer: No.

#2 is clearly out.  Once you have gotten beyond where you can fix it with data you collected during the Contest, it's too late to fix it.  (Some people will argue, reasonably, that fixing "obvious typo's" is not allowed after theContest; you just have to leave K09HB in your log.  But that's a different question.)

#1 is clearly not fair.

#3 is also not fair -- why should he lose points for your mistake?

IMHO, the proper thing to do is to accept that you are going to get a busted QSO.  Leave it in the log.  At some point, "copying" the correct info has to include getting it from your ears into the logging medium.  (ATV, RTTY, and other machine copy types need not remind me that not all QSOs require ears.)

A slightly different case:  In SS SSB I worked a nice multiplier, and shortly afterwards I decided that I had probably blown part of the data.  So, much later in the contest, when things were slow, I worked him again.  I explained that I thought I had data wrong in the first QSO, so please dupe me so I won't lose the mult.  He said, "OK. We'll delete the first QSO."  I think that fixing the log after the Contest is OK in that case.

73, Art K3KU