[CQ-Contest] Class Idea

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Thu Dec 14 00:24:43 EST 2006

Dick, W7ZR, wrote:

> Give some of the up and commings something to shoot at
> without taking away from the big boys who do well consistently.  The
> only down side that comes to my mind immediately is that argument of
> do we need another classification?  Well, why not if it advances
> contesting.

I kinda like this idea.  SS could be spiced up by adding one more element to the exchange...a 3 character/digit to bring some deserved instant recognition...even down to the Section levels (all for official results in any of the last 3 years):

SN1 = Single Op National Top 10
SN2 = Single Op National Top 20
SN3 = Single Op National Top 30
SS1 = Single Op Section Top Score
SS2 = Single Op Section 2nd Ranked
SS3 = Single Op Section 3rd Ranked
WA1 = "WannAbee #1" for all others :-)
...etc., etc.

I'm sure there would be concerns about the extra exchange time and slowing down of rates.  No problemo.  Just increase the number of points per valid QSO and everyone can potentially end up with a higher score than before!!!

FWIW & 73...

Rick, K6VVA