[CQ-Contest] SS Off Time Calculations

Mark Beckwith n5ot at n5ot.com
Sat Dec 16 11:02:56 EST 2006

>>The log checking program is going to count this as
>>29 minutes off time, not 30. Yes, a legal break has
>>to be 30 minutes - but we will still count this as a
>>legal off time.   However, we will only give you credit
>>for 29 minutes, not 30.
>
> It's probably important to note that your generosity
> doesn't extend any further than that. A 28-minute
> break in the log is counted as ON time, right?

It's important to note that different contests are processed by different
volunteers.  It's VERY important in this case, because Tree is being
generous with the 29 minute break thing.  There was a NAQP recently where
the guy with the highest claimed score got significantly knocked down
because the non-Tree volunteer who judges the NAQP was not as generous about
granting amnesty on a 29 minute break as Tree is in his example, and just
clipped 29 minutes worth of QSOs out of the log.  Different log checkers may
handle the same scenario in a different contest a different way.

In my opinion it would have been more kosher for the log checker to clip a
QSO or two off where the operator resumed at the end of the brake that was a
minute too short by accident.

Frankly if you will allow me a rant, it doesn't serve the sport for this
kind of inconsistency to be going on.  The checkers should get their heads
together and agree on how they're going to do things more than they do.

Anyway, watch your breaks and always make sure there are 30 actual minutes
in the clear and you'll be fine no matter who is checking the log.

Mark, N5OT