[CQ-Contest] Get Rid of the Assisted Category

George Harlem W1EBI w1ebi at lightband.com
Sat Dec 16 23:49:44 EST 2006

>I definitely do NOT feel that
operators who choose to use packet and enter SOA are inferior to those
who
chose not to use it. It IS a learned skill. Different strokes for
different
folks.

Bravo, Ken.

I've done it both ways and enjoy both ways.  I'm SOA in many DX
contests, rules permitting, because at heart I'm a DXer, but I get much
satisfaction operating unassisted (e.g., SS, IARU).

My three cents:

1.  Some of the ops who denigrate packet users also bemoan the
difficulty of developing newbie contesters.  If packet use creates some
new blood, how awful can it be?

2.  Skilled SOA contesters are also quite talented at using the "big
dial", which seems never to be conceded in the reflector threads.  Using
packet strategically does _NOT_ eliminate the need to tune the bands.

3.  I detest the term "point and shoot".  Think busted spots.

George W1EBI