[CQ-Contest] Get Rid of the Assisted Category

K0HB k-zero-hb at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 18 22:59:58 EST 2006

Ron,

All you've told us is that you haven't yet figured out how to properly use
assistance to optimize your score.

But put two skilled and determined operators into two nearby equivalently
equipped stations.  Station 1 goes solo, just "a boy and his radio".
Station 2 gets packet so we have "a boy and his radio and a bunch of other
guys and their radios".  Station 2 will win.  (The recent traffic about a
"melded top 20" is statistically invalid because it ignores the fact that
the really hard-core single ops by-and-large shun hunting deer in a fenced
game farm, so good operators are under-represented in the "assisted"
category.)

Just for grins, I ran "assisted" in SS Phone this fall.  It wasn't as much
fun (never again --- I felt like I was cheating), but I certainly got a lot
of Q's that I'd otherwise never have stumbled on, especially Sunday
afternoon.

--
Un chasseur sachant chasser chasse sans son chien.
  (A hunter who knows how to hunt hunts without his dog)

73, de Hans, K0HB