[CQ-Contest] Incorrect conclusions about un-assisted versus assisted

K4BEV at aol.com K4BEV at aol.com
Tue Dec 19 21:13:09 EST 2006

In a message dated 12/19/2006 6:36:38 P.M. Central Standard Time,
tree at kkn.net writes:

... it  is the totally wrong conclusion to jump to.

The reason that you see  typically lower un-assisted scores at the top is
simple.  The large  percentage of the top operators are NOT using
assistance.

They ARE, on the other hand, using efficient antennas at optimized  heights
and superior experience. These are THE keys to being a top op  - IMHO.

In my (new kid on the block) opinion - Assisted (i.e. Spotting Networks)  is
NOT SO - it is MultiOp.
There are multiple operators contributing information to each  other. OK,
maybe MultiSingle. But I can't figure out how this is the same as a  Single
Operator effort.

I love finding new mults while SnP and, since I only run LP, a good run is  a
real rush. Having someone else find stations for me to work is the same as
working at a MultiOp effort -- Still a lot of fun, but just not the same. Plus;
 you don't have the other OPs there to interact with... :-(

I must agree that the Assisted category should be eliminated - But it
shouldn't be lumped in with the SO cat. It should either be its own category (OK  -
Not eliminated) or put in with the Multis. This might just do away with  the
INSTANT PILE-UPS when most in it can't even hear the guy they are *calling*.
The guy that IS working him (or her) just looses out when the din starts.

****
PLEASE - If you are contesting Assisted, at least listen for the spotted
station BEFORE sending your call! He (or she) might just be in a QSO when you
get there. Whoever came up with the software to QSY and immediately send your
call to a spot should have to use a straight key in all CW contests for the
next two contest calendar years ;-)
****

Merry Christmas and Best Wishes (73) to all,
de K4BEV - Always SOLP (unless part of a multi at the CAT House) [TU  Tom!]

PS. I did try QRP in a contest once - You'd better have real antennas  or a
bunch of patience. I have neither.