[CQ-Contest] Sending LOTS of bureau QSL's - recommendations?

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Wed Dec 20 18:31:33 EST 2006

Mark,

There's no one ideal solution to the dilemma.  And I don't know if an
"ideal" solution in terms of volume would also prove to be cost effective.

But, one suggestion (assuming you want to farm this out) is to talk to
someone who does bulk mailing.   See if they can handle something.  If they
can't, or don't want to, or you'd rather not, then an investment in a good
quality business laser printer (not a cheapie home one) might be in order.
Color is nice, and I use that for very small quantities, but for a big
contest, nothing beats a heavy duty laser.  (Sadly, my LaserJet 4+ didn't
survive the move into the new QTH, so I'm presently without.)  I think the
cards can come out pretty nice... haven't had any complaints yet, at least
[anyone on the list who's seen one of my recent cards care to comment?]

Now:  What I'd suggest for the cards themselves (which is what I do for bulk
cards now):
-- Massage your final log(s) into a database that would let you print
multiple QSO's per card.
-- Develop a QSL card format that would let you take that database and
effectively perform a mail merge.  I've had extremely good results with
various versions of MS Publisher.
-- Sort the data by call, obviously... tailor the sort to match the specs of
the outgoing ARRL bureau or WF5E or whatever other service you choose to use
if you choose not to reply to all of them direct.
-- Print the cards on 4-card-to-a-sheet cardstock.  Avery has several
formats for this (for example, 8387 "InkJet Postcards," 200 sheets, each
card 5-1/2 x 4-1/4").
-- Separate, keeping the sort intact in the process, and then send to the
bureau or however you choose to deal with them.

A mailing house may handle this for you for a fee.  A modern commercial
printer who can do a mail merge might too.  Check around!

GL!

73, ron w3wn