[CQ-Contest] Tracing the Evolution of the Single Op and reading the tea leaves.

k3bu at optonline.net k3bu at optonline.net
Thu Dec 21 17:53:37 EST 2006

> Hmmm..."the critical point that separates it (spotting assistance) from <BR>> all the other technology is that the help is coming from other individuals
> in real time, during the contest."
>
> OK. Once again, EVERY "Spot-EE" is really receiving "Assistance" from all
> the "Spot-ORs" posting "real time" directions on where to find the
> "Spot-EE". This is a bona fide valuable "Assistance" that can increase QSO
> and Multiplier rates of the "Spot-EE". By definition, that places the
> "Spot-EEs" by proxy into an "Assisted" category any way you cut the mustard.
>
> So, what are the Contest Sponsors going to do about this "Reality" now that
> the cat is finally out of the bag???????
>
> Inquiring minds would like to know. Preferably, *before* the next contest.
>
> Tnx & 73...
>
> Rick, K6VVA

If you asked your buddies to be spotted, then you are soliciting QSOs by non amateur means (Internet plus other even amateur means), then you should be DQed. K1TTT has done some detective work in that direction and his data is available for potential use by the contest sponsors.

Interesting, when I look after the contest at the spots archive and see how many times I have been spotted (1 - 3 x typically) and see some other race horses being spotted many more times, makes you wonder.

Usually "juicy" stuff gets spotted more often, due to the desirabiltity (being multiplier or rare). Then you get the "club thing" club buddies spotting their club buddies every time they hear them. But then you have the "helpers" that beat the drums for you (even at WRTC).

Putting this into the same category and bundling it with Assisted (those clicking on spots) is a stretch. We either should stop using the spotting, cut down on it (yo, M/Ms) or simply ban it during the contests, but I think the Genie is out of the bottle and is too late, too many enjoy it.

The real secret for succesful contesting is to manage the best in getting station equipment together, using it effciently and being sharp operator. I learned about the importance of antennas from Jim, W2PV and the rest was learning process and I am still stuck in it, technology just keeps marching ahead and it is fun trying to keep up with it and use it. Add to it unpredictability of propagation and each contest is a new challenge and chance to see what could be beaten.

It is nice to see fellow hams, computer whizes, to implement various gadgets and software that make the contesting more fun and push our scores up. Thanks for that (especially N1MM team)!
Just that this wireless stuff keeps getting more and more wires. :-)

73 Yuri, K3BU