[CQ-Contest] The Unassisted Myth - Now the Rest of the Story: The Assisted Myth (?)

Ted Bryant w4nz at comcast.net
Thu Dec 21 19:36:40 EST 2006

Very interesting and well-stated post from Jose. (personally, I'd like to know what Jose's
pshchologist wife thinks of contesters in general - or - maybe not :))

Let me offer another perspective on "Assisted".

There is no doubt that DX spotting networks, ie. "packet", can provide a significant advantage. It's
an absolute requirement to be competitive in a multi-anything environment. But, for the
single-operator, the degree of the "assistance" gained is often variable and even sometimes
detrimental. I have nothing against the assisted category, having entered some contests in that
category myself.  However, I do believe assisted and unassisted should be separate categories for
many of the same reasons others have stated.

Consider these personal observations:

1. Every station on a particular band does not necessarily get spotted, especially the ones who are
s&p. The ones who seemed to be spotted most are stations who CQ a lot (obviously).

2. There are usually many more stations available on a band than what the packet shows. (I believe
the 80/20 rule applies here...at any given time, 20 percent of the stations on a particular band
will be CQing and 80 percent will be s&p)

3. Often, I find that I don't have propagation to many spotted stations (a real time-waster)

4. A spotted station often has QSY'd since the spot (another real time-waster)

5. There seems to be an inordinately high number of busted calls spotted which diminishes the value
of the spot and can waste time, especially (usually?) if the spotted station rarely identifies.

To catch those stations who are not spotted in (1) you need to be running and let them find you.  I
am always amazed at how often I get called by a rare mult. If my observation/assumption is correct
in (2) then, again you need to be running. With SO2R, the second radio can be used to effectively
chase that 20 percent who are CQing on another band - and you don't need packet to find them.

What's stated here, I believe, has long been common knowledge to the top-scoring operators.  They've
already figured out that SO2R without the "assistance" of packet is currently the most efficient,
competitive operating method. And, I believe, this is the primary reason top operators choose the
single operator (unassisted) category.

Seasons Greetings!
Ted W4NZ