[CQ-Contest] Un- vs. Assisted -- historical perspective?

Art Boyars art.boyars at verizon.net
Fri Dec 22 05:30:49 EST 2006

NS3T is a really good guy and a good op, so I was surprised to see him start the thread about combining the two entry classes.  I would keep them separate -- having other people find the QSOs for you is a whole lot different than two radios or even SCP.  KR2Q's historical perspective brought up most of the points that had come to my mind (except he forgot about the quota in ARRL CW).

Anyhow, thinking about the historical issues, I've been wondering if the people whose experience always had Internet and Packet have a different perspective than we OTs.  I think these newer op's might not have the OT's visceral understanding of the challenge -- and the satisfaction -- of actually hunting up a new mult by yourself.

(See also my next post, "Packet has ruined Ham Radio".)

73, Art K3KU