[CQ-Contest] ZERO points

Igor Sokolov ua9cdc at r66.ru
Fri Dec 22 10:47:12 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: <k3bu at optonline.net>

> This sure does not encourage US stations to get on, while Euros are
exploding with activity, because they >do not get deprived of working their
next door contesters.

I would argue with the above. Eu activity is on the rise as compaired to
that of the US not only in CQWW but practically all the international
contests.

> The effect of that on US participation is that low bands get very lonely
and there is not much to work, >especially for little pistols that would
like to get some runs going when things get dead DX wise. Look at the
>scores of top stations on low bands, Euros can work some 1800 QSOs on 160
while top US can barely >work 500 and out of that 150 are ZERO pointers.
Next door Carribbeatniks, are having a ball working >pileups of lonely US
suckers whole night. How is that EQUAL??? How does that encourage US
>participation when it gets soooo boring by having taboo working stations
2000 miles away on the continent? >In CQ 160 contest US stations can make
some 1800 QSOs, would it hurt CQ WW if we managed to work >some 2000 QSOs on
160?

Then what should be done to create level field for some UA0Q station who
hardly has 10 stations to work in the vicinity of 2000 miles and in addition
is handicaped by above the Arctic Circle location? How are you going to
create the rules that enable him to work 2000 QSOs on 160?

> The arguments that CQ WW would turn into Sweepstakes is just uninformed
and silly. Anyone thinks that I >would be working US stations and ignoring
more pointer DX?

There is an example of exactly that behavior. Look at the statistics of HQ
stations in IARU. Look at the number of own country QSO they make. One
rather choose to work loud local 1 pointers at 5 qso per minute then trying
to pull out weak LP 3 pointer DX once in 2 minutes risking to be penalized
for incorrectly received call or exchange.

Skip.....

> The proposed changes would be to have 1 point for domestic QSOs, 2 points
for own continent and 3 points for the other continet QSOs.
> The even better proposal would be to give 3 points to everybody. Those
close to equator or being multipliers will still have the propagation and
rarity advantage but not 60%.
> So the net result will be more fair scoring system with more meanigfull
and comparable results and

Especially for the UA0Q guy that I have mentioned  or some VK5 or ZL. Nobody
would be interested in them anymore.

Skip

> You might look at it differently, but those that take it seriously, I
believe, would agree with me.

I do, I do, I don't :)

73, Igor UA9CDC