[CQ-Contest] Assisted Low Power?

Bill Haddon - n6zfo hounds1234 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 22 15:29:14 EST 2006

Re LP stns getting "shafted" by lack of LP Assisted category.

For LP "A" category ARRL SS  there's probably relatively greater benefit of Assisted Category compared to high power, so the mixing may not be as bad as it first appears.

Long ago  in SS,  LP stns had a 1.25 score mult rather than a separate category.  A few years ago, I recalculated this number for the NCCC  to address the issue of  whether one should put money into an amp or better antennas.  Interestingly, the value for B vs A than I obtained was 1.26 (for full legal power vs. 150 watts).  I also have a number for QRP.

If anyone is interrested in the A assisted  vs B assisted multiplier, let me know; we can apply the same reasoning to Low  vs High power Assisted. It's not trivial to get the info, but it can be done.  I'm guessing a mult of around 1.15 would apply.

73 Bill N6ZFO

From: "Jamie Dupree NS3T" <ns3t at arrl.net>