[CQ-Contest] Packet has ruined Ham Radio

KI9A at aol.com KI9A at aol.com
Fri Dec 22 19:39:38 EST 2006

In a message dated 12/22/2006 6:04:38 P.M. Central Standard Time,
k4zw at adelphia.net writes:

2.   I'm not sure, but it seems to me that the DX stations are not IDing  as
frequently as they did before Packet.

You got that  right!  In fact I was going to propose that unassisted stations
be  allowed a certain number of "Packet Chips" per contest.  This would allow
 us to log onto the packet network "x" number of times during a contest for
the  sole purpose of obtaining a station's callsign.  Some stations appear to
be using packet in lieu of signing their call on a reasonable basis.  Of
course I'm not serious but any unassisted op who has experienced the  following:

DX Station - K4ZW 599 XX
K4ZW - 599 5
DX Station -  TU

for 3 - 10 straight QSO's while the multitudes call, know exactly  what I
mean.

Wow..you can't blame that on packet. That is the DX operators fault!!   I
recall a thread here a few years ago about why big-gun DX stations don't ID as
often as we like, and if i remember, it was purely a time-saving act!

Packet ruining ham radio??  Come on guys, you can do better than  that!

73-Chuck KI9A