[CQ-Contest] improving pileup efficiency (was NOT ID'ing every time)

kr2q at optonline.net kr2q at optonline.net
Sat Dec 23 06:58:16 EST 2006

Hi all:

Okay...so all of us have experienced the agony of having to wait through 2, 3, or 4 QSO's
before "the other guy" signs his call.  "What's the matter with this guy?" is really more like
"Gee whiz, I'm wasting my time here."

But really, haven't we all engaged in "not signing our callsign each and every time?"
Even QRP, I sometimes don't "need" to (and haven't).

One Caller scenario:
1.  TEST de KR2Q
2.  9V1YC [only one caller]
3.  9V1YC 5nn5
4.  5nn28
5.  TEST KR2Q

Two caller scenario:
1.  TEST de KR2Q
2.  9V1YC*6NA [two callers]
3.  9V1YC 5nn5
4.  5nn28
5.  QRZ [no ID]
6.  9M6NA
7.  9M6NA 5nn5
8.  5nn28
9.  TEST KR2Q

Many callers:
Well, you get the idea.

So what "wastes our time" is actually being efficient for the other guy.  I agree that there
should be a sensible limit, but what is "sensible" probably varies with the size of the pile.  As
long as the CQer has callers, he "saves times" (aka, increases his rate) by not giving his
callsign.  And if the pileup is huge, he can be more efficient by thinning it out by NOT signing
rather than keeping it huge or even growing, thereby REDUCING the number of full calls he
can copy at one time.

I know that this is kinda "backwards" thinking, but I also know that we've all done this, though
maybe on a much smaller scale.  As I said, even QRP (mostly during QRP "contests"), if I hear
a couple guys answering my CQ, I'll work one and then just call QRZ cuz I know the other
guy is still there just waiting for me -- well, most of the time anyway.

Spotting assistance has certainly worsened this effect because of "instant pileups," but I really
can't blame the guy working the pileup (not entirely) unless he doesn't sign after X number
of qso's (pick your own X, probably proportional to your intensity/anxiety level).

When I hear a guy not signing every time, I:
1.  try to figure out if it is a needed mult (by zone [ITU or CQ], by state [such as ARRL 10m or 160m], etc.
2.  will leave after 3 Q's if no ID and I don't "need" the mult or can't tell.
3.  will leave after 5 Q's if no ID if it is a "needed" mult that I might not work later, but this is rare.
     For example, I am not going to hang around to get the call of a guy in PA (say, 160m test), even
     if might be a "needed mult" at that time.  [I'm in NJ].  I'm gonna work LOTS of them "later."

I find that "walking away" is the most relaxing thing for me...and probably the most efficient thing too.

de Doug KR2Q