[CQ-Contest] band plan and DX window and ...oh just forget about it

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Fri Dec 29 10:44:43 EST 2006

On Nov 20, 2006, at 10:44 PM, kr2q at optonline.net wrote:

> 1.  I too overheard some horrible stuff on 75.  [...]

See below.

> So...are you telling me that CW contesters should stay away from
> the RTTY and QRP calling
> frequencies during a contest?

Mercifully, when Regions 1 and 3 move to a 200 kHz allocation for 40m
in 2009, hopefully the RTTY DX frequency will move up higher in the
band (like about 7080 kHz).

In the meantime, it is probably prudent for QRP ops to move lower or
higher in the band during RTTY contests, and for RTTY ops to avoid
transmitting directly on 7040 (because of the many rock-bound QRP CW
guys there).

> 3.  Hopefully, most of this particular discussion will be moot soon
> (Dec 15?) with the new
> phone allocations on 80/75.

I find it very curious that the ARRL left the 3790-3800 kHz DX
"window" in place in the bandplan. Considering that Advanced class
licensees have 100 kHz in common with Regions 1 and 3, and Extra
class licensees have 200 kHz in common with Regions 1 and 3, that we
need this 10 kHz "window" at all.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901