[CQ-Contest] QRPeeeing

K3BU@aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Wed Jan 4 10:48:15 EST 2006

Let me shed some light on LP and QRP.

First, I have tried (or been forced by circumstances) to operate LP (N2EE 10
and 40m from Cape Hatteras, NC) and some QRP (160m) in the contests, mainly to
test the locations by the sea (Team Vertical inspiration). What a better way
to find out how things "play", especially for someone who in the past had
awesome artillery (Razor quagis) and full power and made it into the record tables.

After experiencing the "joys" of operating flea powers in the contest alleys,
I take my hat off to those who suffer in the flea power categories in the
contests. It is exciting to get through to some rare one or one with good ears,
or tell who is real alligator. It takes some skills, like finding the fresh
meat or dropping own callsign at the right time. K5RC points are well taken and
there are some types who think that they deserve clear channels and special
treatment, just because they sign /QRP. Good operator doesn't do that, realizing
it is a competition and you ought to operate according to rules and courtesy.
QRPeeeing gives one chance to observe the bands and operating (lotsa RX time)
mainly because calling CQ and hoping for runs is wishful dreaming, you get
stomped on very quickly unless you are fresh meat and a rare one too (and been
spotted).
The most frustrating time is, when you find new one just appearing on the
band, sometimes you get on the first call (no callers yet), but most of the times
you don't make it, then some champ with direct spotted web connection works
the station, then you get bedlam, never ending pileup. So you mark it and hope
to come back when there is "nobody home" and frequency gets clearer (second
day). It is tough, educational, you get to hate spotting and learn that life is
too short for QRP.
In the contest situations LP/QRP is an excellent way to test the location and
antennas. There you KNOW what works and what doesn't. When ZS6EZ tells you
that you are only NA that is coming through (LP, 4sq on the beach) you know that
this is major. So I verified that Team Vertical opened our eyes as where to
setup the station and that it is worth good 10 -15 dB extra gain on receive and
transmit. Now put up some real antennas and power at the beach and we are
talking real killer setup (aka D4B).
So I have appreciation for the little pistols, but craving to be back with
big boys and just might be able to do it soon from the 175 acre rhombic farm
over the salt water marshes from new N2EE site. (www.TeslaRadio.org)

Happy New Year to all

73 Yuri, K3BU.us