[CQ-Contest] QRP - Get Over It

Doug Renwick ve5ra at sasktel.net
Wed Jan 4 14:58:42 EST 2006

I agree with your practices.  When I work a pile-up the only thing I
want to hear is full callsigns.  Anything else is just QRM.  I get fed
up with /qrp.  A weak station with a long callsign and then they have
to add to it.  If /qrp can't figure out their real callsign then I
turn around and make up a callsign for them (i.e. F6QRP) and give that
station a report.  Almost every time they come back to me with say
F6XYZ/qrp.  So I send F6QRP tu and move on to the next station.
But I do log them as F6XYZ.  /qrp is a mindset that needs to be broken
and it will not happen quickly.

Doug/VA5DX

Subject: [CQ-Contest] QRP - Get Over It

2. In plileups, QRPers are often those calling out of turn and
nonstop. I
thought the thrill of QRP was using operating skill to overcome signal
strength.
 Why do you demand special treatment because you are running low
power?
3. Signing /QRP is not legal! It is not an approved portable
designator. I
will not put /QRP in my log or on a QSL card.

I've spent years doing mobile and weak-signal VHF work. It is a hoot
when
you can get through with meager power and/or inadequate antennas. I
never expect(or demand)special treatment in those circumstances, I
just revel in  it
when it happens.

Tom Taormina, K5RC
Contesting from the Comstock