[CQ-Contest] The irony of Operating Time [was: Logging Time [was: Contesting Time Calculation]]

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Fri Jan 6 16:11:26 EST 2006

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 08:19:13PM -0800, Radiosporting Fan wrote:
> --- "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker at kenharker.com>
> wrote:
> > SWLing could definitely benefit your score.  I think
> > that listening and finding new stations to work the
> > moment your off time expires would be a much bigger
> > direct benefit to your score than log analysis.
>
> Oh cool.  So I spend a half hour not TXing...but
> SWLing and noting the frequency and callsign of future
> QSO's.  Ken, you came up with this "potential"
> scenario awefully fast.  Just how "potential" is such
> a strategy? <grin>

I think it's an obvious consideration.  It is also the reason that most
contest rules with off-time requirements explicitly specify something to
the effect that "listening time counts as operating time".  This is
also a topic that has been discussed on this reflector several times
over the years.

We've also had discussions on this reflector before about the ethics
of listening to the bands in the hour before a contest officially
starts and building up a bandmap.  It's obviously difficult for
contest sponsors to regulate behavior outside of the official time
period for the contest, but I share the opinion of many others that
this is an unethical, unsportsmanlike practice.