[CQ-Contest] W6WRT does the Roundup

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at ispwest.com
Sun Jan 8 21:39:47 EST 2006

                     ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: W6WRT
Operator(s): W6WRT
Station: W6WRT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 19

------------
    80:   84
    40:  143
    20:  306
    15:  220
    10:   54
------------
Total:  807  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 25  Total Score = 62,139

Comments: My second and hopefully last contest running low power. My
commercially built amp is back in the shop for the second time in
three years for the same part failure - the toroid in the plate tank
circuit smoked. While it is a good amp, it just can not handle RTTY
contesting at full legal power for any length of time. I spoke with
the factory rep about this and he indirectly admitted such. They are
coming out with a "Magnum" version which is supposed to solve such
problems. Too late for me. I'm in the process of building a
no-compromise 8877 amp that should have no such weak spots. I thought
I might have it done for the RU, but not quite. Another week or so,
then look out! Life really is too short for you-know-what. :-)

Ten meters was open very well, but not too many folks there. East
coast stations were 20 and 30 over nine here in California. On the
other hand, not many EU or JA stations heard like in other years. The
congestion on 20 and 40 had to be heard to be believed. I've never
seen it so wall-to-wall.

Nice!

Bill, W6WRT