[CQ-Contest] RTTY Contesters on NCDXF Beacons

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Sun Jan 8 23:46:31 EST 2006

Charlie, KI5XP, wrote:

 > Also, probably because they either don't know, which is to say if it means
 > this much to YOU, then perhaps you should take it upon yourself to publicize
 > this a bit more, OR, they just plain don't care, which is kind of the way im
 > leaning.

I just happened to stumble across the problem, which is why I made the post
(albeit
I had NAQP on my mind and incorrectly assumed it was an NAQP RTTY event).

If your suggestion that some RTTY operators "just don't care", I think
that's a pretty
sad commentary on operating style (or un-style).  I think no one has ever
given any
thought to the potential problem, but today unfolded the reality of a
conflict.

Not having RTTY here (yet), I couldn't tell who the multiple stations were
causing the
QRM.  I did make an "Announcement" post to DX-Summit hoping someone with
RTTY might
be able to get them to QSY off the beacons.  If it were CW or SSB so I
could copy a callsign,
and they had a listed phone number, I would have called them on the phone.

FWIW, I've already emailed N1ND with a suggestion that next year's official
rules
should suggest that operators avoid causing QRM to the NCDXF beacons.  I'm
sure
there must have been at least one RTTYer who may have checked for the VE8
beacon
during the event...or tried.

K4WW has now kindly posted a suggestion to the RTTY contesting reflector,
and I fully
agree with his suggestion for RTTY contesters to try and stay +/- 2Khz from
the beacon frequency.

 > Of course, this is going to be the start of the RTTY contest in the CW bands
 > and CW contesting in the RTTY bands crap again.  I'll assume I'll see this
 > same post from you again following the next CW contest right?

I dunno about an historic CW vs. RTTY bru-ha-ha, and that is not the issue
here.

The NCDXF Beacons provide an extremely valuable service to not only
contesters of
all mode flavors, but non-contesters...especially during these times of
pee-poor condx.  I plan
to rely heavily upon checking the beacons while on a very rare IOTA
expedition next month...
especially for any European openings.

Doubtful you'll see any post from me following the next CW contest, as I
don't recall
hearing anyone smack dab on top of the beacons in a CW contest, although I
rarely go
above 070...I get dizzy from heights :-).  But if someone is QRMing the
beacons when I'm
on the Expedition to the tune of thousands of bucks, you better  believe
I'm gonna be {peeved}.

73...

Rick, K6VVA