[CQ-Contest] Comments from a relative newbie that need affirmation

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at ispwest.com
Tue Jan 10 09:54:04 EST 2006

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

Art Searle W2NRA <w2nra at optonline.net> wrote:
> Comments from a relative newbie that need affirmation:
>
> CQing Stations [AFC On/NET Off]- If I'm CQing I want my TX parked in
> one place so I want NET Off and I also want AFC On to tune in those
> calling off frequency.  I did notice some CQing stations with NET On
> in the ARRL RTTY RU.

Correct.

> S&Ping Stations [AFC Off]- If I'm S&Ping and everyone CQing is TX
> fixed (as they should be) I don't want AFC On because my RX might
> follow another caller instead of the CQing station.  And AFC On could
> further be complicated with NET On.  If my RX follows another caller
> and I then answer the CQing station he will loose me.

Correct, and there is one other problem with having AFC on during S&P: While
you are tuning, your AFC will reach out and tune in the other station before
your TX is tuned in. As a result, you will TX slightly off his frequency.

> - Obviously NET On has no function when AFC is OFF and as said by
> Bill, NET only works with AFSK.

Correct

> - I see no reason to ever set NET On in a contest.

Truer words were never spoken.

> Have I got it right?

Perfectly.

> BTW I also learned something else about RTTY contesting from another
> reflector.  I have been actively RTTY contesting for a little over a
> year and this is the first time I've heard about the operating
> restrictions on the frequency of the IARU/NCDXF Beacons on 14.100 MHz
> (being 100 % CW for the 25 years prior).  I was unaware that it is in
> the operating regulations of some licensing countries and by
> gentlemen's agreement in the US Band Plan.

It's not as well known as it should be.