[CQ-Contest] NAQP CW "West Coast Battle Cry"

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Mon Jan 16 08:32:49 EST 2006

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Kelly Taylor wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> Thanks for your explanation. I can certainly see why it may seem
> frustrating.
>
> Here's the deal: while I will never compete in a DX contest (anyone outside
> the Black Hole will hear stuff that's just a dream to me), would you like to
> know the station with which I ran SS LP to No. 5?

I worked my first 150 countries or so on 40 CW, including the last Peter I
and the AH1A DXpeditions, with a low sloping dipole.  The top was about 30
feet off the ground and the bottom end was only 3 feet off the ground. I
may not have won a DX contest with the setup, but I sure would've made
some QSO's!  In fact, I made several hundred QSO's with that setup and an
FT101E back in ARRL DX 1993. I had just been bitten by the DX bug after
being mostly inactive for 15 years and my main purpose on that contest
was to work new countries, which I did - about 40 of them.

I don't think there is any excuse for not at least trying.

73, Zack W9SZ