[CQ-Contest] "average" operator

Art Boyars art.boyars at verizon.net
Mon Jan 16 13:29:58 EST 2006

Two of our frequent contributors differ in opinion as to whether the "average" operator at a super station could beat the super operator with a wire hanging out the window.  Three comments:

1.  (Serious, to the point)  I think the two contributors have different concepts of who the "average" operator is.  Perhaps they could discuss that (civilly, of course) off-reflector. and then see if they still disagree.

2.  (Nostalgia)  As I recall, K2EIU/5 did pretty well in some CD parties with a wire out the window.  I believe this tale has been mentioned here previously.  Maybe Ken or W2RU will give us the true story.

3.  (Funny nostalgia)  I operated with a wire out the window from my apartment in Madison, WI, in Fall of 1969.  Only ground (if any) was the AC wiring.  Running 180 watts from the T-4X, I got a nice glow in the table lamp across the room.

73, Art K3KU