[CQ-Contest] "average" operator

Art Boyars art.boyars at verizon.net
Mon Jan 16 20:42:44 EST 2006

Well, Mal, I disagree.  I think your record says that you are more than "very slightly above average" of all those operators in, say, SS who give as much time as they can spare and work as hard as they can.

As for comparing to K3ZO, I think I've known him almost as long (depends on when he got back Stateside in the late '60s).  I know that if he and I swapped stations, he would clobber me.  I would not have a clue as to how to take advantage of his station, but he would know exactly how to make the most of mine.  Besides which, he would have me psych'ed out because I'd be afraid of wrecking something :>)

73 Art, K3KU

Art I can very easily respond to your first comment without consulting anyone. I, N7MAL, consider myself to be a slightly above, very slightly, above average. I have lucked out a  few times, at various QTH's, and managed to snag a section certificate. ...

I've known Fred, K3ZO, for 40 years. I'm sure everyone would agree Fred is a premier, 'cream-of-the-crop', contester. Fred operated a contest years ago from one of my stations. I watched him and learned. I can guarantee you if we were to trade places, during a domestic contest, SS, NAQP, etc, there would be little change in the outcome. Yes I might get 100 more Q's and Fred might get 100 less Q's but he would still beat me soundly. (Fred knows the 2 basic secrets of successful contesting and applies them, I look for excuses not to apply them)