[CQ-Contest] Worst contesting location?

Tim Makins tim.ei8ic at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 03:13:28 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Igor Sokolov" <ua9cdc at r66.ru>
> Thanks for the URL Dave. I remember the story pretty well. I was operating
> from the Soviet Arctic as EK9C/0 that time and was trying to help by
> monitoring bands and attempting to get information from several  Russian
> authorities and other Russian amateurs who happened to be involved during
> the rescue search. The story of rescue searching the team is still full of
> mystery. There was an article in QST shortly after the return of the
> survivors home. I wonder if there is more detailed story available
somewhere
> on the web.
>
> 73, Igor UA9CDC

Talking of another famous Soviet Arctic Explorer and radio ham - Ernst
Krenkel, callsign RAEM: the book containing the account of the sinking of
the ice-breaker Chelyuskin, the stranding on the ice, and the subsequent
rescue attempts is currently available on eBAy:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Camp-On-The-Icefield-by-Sophia-Mogilevska-Arctic_W0QQitemZ8374035144QQcategoryZ72332QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

, along with other Arctic and Antarctic books, stamps, and postcards:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZei8ic

More about the most famous Soviet amateur here:
http://goto.glocalnet.net/sm5iq/raemeng.html

73s Tim EI8IC
www.mapability.com/ei8ic
Ham Map Heaven. Contester Resources. Free Stuff.