[CQ-Contest] Contest line score database

George Fremin III geoiii at kkn.net
Sun Jan 22 19:30:50 EST 2006

Fellow contesters,

Last year around this time I made this post:

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2005-02/msg00140.html

In that post I talked about the efforts that Ken Harker (WM5R) had
gone through to update the ARRL 10 meter contest records. He has since
written several articles that talk about this effort in more detail.

I also talked about a dream several of us share about working toward a
database of contest line scores for all contests. So that any number
of searches and sorts could be run on the data and output generated to
the browser or to files that could be downloaded. The idea is to build
a database of all the line scores that is open for all to use and
continue to update and expand it with contest results.

I also said I was looking for people that could help further this
effort. In the last year gotten several people have been helping by
gathering line scores that are only in printed format.

As these scores come in Ken has been adding them to the database. He
has also been improving his tools for importing line scores into the
database as well as working on improving the database structure.

Bruce (WA7BNM) has given us some good suggestions on database
structure and indexing that Ken recently has implemented. Bruce is
also going to work on some web front end tools for searching and
sorting the data.

We now have a start to the project that is more concrete than it was a
year ago and now I would like to get a few more hands on this project
as gathering line scores is a lot of work for some of the contests
that have hundreds or even thousands of line scores per event.

To give you a very small glimpse of what a cool resource this can be I
have set up a few very simple searches and sorts that can be run on
the database.

http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/scoredb/

If you would like to help gather line scores just drop me a note.
Several of the contests have fairly small amounts of data and could be
finished off in short order by just a few folks spending some time to
type the data in from the printed contest reports.

If you run a contest and would like to provide us with line scores
to add to the database we would love to hear from you.

Thanks

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii at kkn.net