[CQ-Contest] Contest Scoreboards

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Mon Jul 10 12:38:20 EDT 2006

Bruce, WA7BNM, wrote:

> As I think you know, we've been working on contest score boards for almost the past year.

Hey Guys, TNX for the great info which I did not know about.

Regarding my previous comment:

> The key thing is to have "options", and to NOT (that's ***NOT*** have to use a
> mouse to scroll to see what you want to see).

Before 'yal finalize things, I do want to add another "2 cents" as my friend Jim Neiger would say about why eliminating, or substantially reducing the need for a mouse, is important.

When one is operating a CW contest at 35WPM (+/-), the last thing in the world ya want to do is to have to take your hands off the keyboard or paddles and screw around with a mouse to activate and/or scroll around in a another computer window ;-(

IMHO, the use of Hot Keys (within a program or a hot-switchable TSR loaded module) should be a high priority.

As an example, I have an X-Keys 3 peddle USB footswitch which is configurable to actuate any combinations of keys or functions on the keyboard.  So even a weird Key1 + Key2 + Key3 type combination function can be performed with only pushing one switch with my foot (even if I'm on the paddles at the moment).  It can also work to display something when the footswitch is down, and then return to the previous screen/program state when the switch is released.  Talk about EFFICIENCY!!!

IMHO, end-user configurability of what is displayed on any Scoreboard is extremely important.  Some will only want a fast, minimal eye-movement snapshot of the info that *THEY* consider important at the moment, because in a contest, "every second counts".

In sincerely hope the above comments help.  When it comes time for a Beta test, perhaps I can help (I have developed software programs and been a past Beta tester for major software firms :-)

Tnx again, 73 & GL...

Rick, K6VVA