[CQ-Contest] Contest Radios

Mark Steven Williams k9gx at n4gn.com
Mon Jul 10 14:24:47 EDT 2006

Bob,

As Dayton approached this year I was considering buying a Field. Then I woke
up and realized that they're no longer available since Yaesu is now
marketing the 2000.

I had the good fortune to find a very clean FT1000 at Dayton. One of our
"locals" was offering it for sale. It came with a complete set of filters
and I paid in the low "$2k" range for it. I stumbled on to the rare
combination of hooking up with a reputable local (I've know him for years)
with a pretty good deal. The fact that the radio came with a full set of
filters closed the deal for me.

It's a 98 model and seems to be in excellent shape. It received it's first
operating test with me last weekend in the IARU and performed flawlessly.

Frankly, I'm not in a position where I can justify the purchase of a $3k
plus radio.

I also own a TS850 which needs servicing right now. I've received a couple
of recommendations on service shops which I'm investigating now. If the 850
can be revived it will go back into service as radio #2 here.

The 1000 series is legendary for it's receive performance under high
intermod (contest weekend) conditions. This rig passed muster in the IARU
for me.

I purchased the International Radio roofing filter mod at Dayton but have
not installed it yet. I wanted to put the rig through it's paces "stock"
before installing the mod for comparison's sake. If you find a clean radio
it's performance can be enhanced considerably with the addition of IR
filters, etc.

I think owning the latest, sexiest radio, automobile or gadget is oftentimes
an issue of vanity having nothing to do with functionality.

I suggest you shop carefully, continue asking questions, talk with locals
and ops you know and respect and ask whether anyone has a rig for sale.
Check online and don't be afraid to ask for references.

Service is an issue. Ask around ahead of time. There are a handful of
independent repair services out there. Check with them and see whether they
service the model you're considering purchasing. Ask about hourly service
rates and the availability of parts.

GL es 73,

Mark, K9GX